nafex - Re: [nafex] Was: Apple Recom; Now: Is This Black Gilliflower

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Was: Apple Recom; Now: Is This Black Gilliflower
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 13:30:51 +0000

Hi, me again, we had a lull and I had a chance to read some of the responses
your question. If you look back in the Spring 2000 Pomona, you will see that I
make a reference to Sheepnose. I've seen one and it was as you described it to
be. I will check my ref. books, I beleive sheepnose was widely used to
describe
apples with similar form. These, I seem to recall, included Black Gilliflower
and Yellow Bellflower. I will check to be sure and get back to you
Monday................vic

Doreen Howard wrote:

> Thanks everyone for all the apple suggestions! I'm going to have fun
> photographing and eating my way through all your suggestions. I have
> contacted Jill Vorbeck and will be getting some apples from Applesource to
> photograph. BTW, Ed Fackler, it was Jill who said that I had Black
> Gilliflower. I bought it at Appleberry Farms near Madison, WI, and it was
> labeled Sheepnose. Jill said that there wasn't a Sheepnose variety, and it
> was probably Black Gilliflower. Comments, anyone?? It's a pretty apple
> (green and dark red stripes), sheep nose shape and has wonderful
> taste--slightly sweet, crisp, almost juicy and has a clean finish.
> Doreen Howard

Get free updates on your stocks from any phone with Tellme!
Call 1-800-555-TELL.
http://click.egroups.com/1/9535/15/_/423498/_/970334999/