nafex - RE: [nafex] NAFEX and Experts--other apple varieties

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <erdmanj@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "'Tom Olenio '" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • Cc: "'nafex@egroups.com'" <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: RE: [nafex] NAFEX and Experts--other apple varieties
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:52:44 -0500

Tom said:

>Are there any local chapters of NAFEX in southern Ontario, Canada?
Would anyone be
interested in setting one up? Is it a tedious process to get permission
to open a
local chapter?

>All this talk about apple tasting has inspired me to call a local apple
tree nursery,
to see if they sell apples from some of the rarer or antique apple stock
Would make
a great Sunday outing if they do..

=========

Last Sunday my wife and I made our annual trip to a half-dozen or so
orchards east of Chippewa Falls, Wis., where we like to pick up some
varieties of apples that we either don't grow or we don't grow enough of.
We were looking at the selection at one of the orchards, and an employee
asked if he could help us, so I asked if they had any Prairie Spy apples, as
I hadn't seen any at any of the orchards. Turned out that they had just 2
or 3 trees, and they hadn't picked any, but they were just ready to pick, so
we went out to the orchard, picked 2 bushels, and found some other varieties
that we also wanted, but weren't available at the orchard's stand.
It pays to ask about other varieties when you are at an orchard, especially
if it is an older established place that could have old varieties left in
some corner of the place.

Jim Erdman
Menomoni, WI

Get free updates on your stocks from any phone with Tellme!
Click here and you can even personalize these quotes!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9536/15/_/423498/_/970235602/

  • RE: [nafex] NAFEX and Experts--other apple varieties, Erdman, Jim, 09/29/2000