nafex - Re: [nafex] (unknown)

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] (unknown)
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:50:30 +0000

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR with NO annual fee!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9335/15/_/423498/_/969630579/

To me the plants sound like a type of blackberry. Nothing you describe
suggests that it could not be. We are still picking blackberries here in
northern NH where they grow wild in deforested areas. They are so abundant
in this region that I have never heard of anyone growing a cultivated
variety. Although similar in many ways, there can be obvious differences in
wild blackberries. Form of berries can vary from small to large cap or round
shaped, small to large elongated and combinations of both with also varying
widths. My daughter and I are partial to the rounder or cap shaped ones
which tend to grow on canes that are green and weak when compared to the
heavy purple canes that tend to produce the more elongated berries. These
rounder berries tend to have larger cells which means less seeds per unit of
measure, they also tend to be better flavored. I have found that many types
of blackberries will pick hollow, especially when well ripened. Over the
years we have been picking in three 'clear cuts' and have our favorite
patches, some of which are very small and others that are consistent for
acres. My daughter Charlene found an amber colored variety back in '92 which
is the only one I grow in our garden.