nafex - [nafex] Re: FW: Cherries & Mulberries

  • From: edforest55@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: FW: Cherries & Mulberries
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 22:16:12 -0000

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/7872/15/_/423498/_/967846583/

Clive,
I have Yellow Glass in two locations, in one location there were two
other sweet cherries that bloomed this year that I assume pollinated
the Yellow Glass- Lapins and Kristen. In the other location the only
other pollinizer for miles was Kristen. The New York Fruit testing
station put out a catalog which listed different incompatability
groups and I had extrapolated from that chart the information I
needed for the pollination requirements for Yellow Glass even though
it wasn't on the chart. So although this information doesn't seem to
be of much help directly, perhaps you could use this to do your own
extrapolating if you can get ahold of a chart somewhere. New York
Fruit Testing station had the best one that I've been able to find
but I can't seem to find it right now.
Good luck
Kevin

By the way, the Yellow Glass was eaten about two weeks later than the
red Kirsten, the birds definately do eat the reds first.

YOU WROTE:
Can you help? After reading an article in an old 'Pomona' concerning
yellow
> cherries being relatively unattractive to birds, I got a couple of
yellow
> fruited cultivars and a dwarf variety from the IR2 virus free
programme in
> Washington State. However, due to all three cultivars being new to
the UK (I
> think) there's no information here as to their pollination
requirements. I
> e-mailed the station but they don't seem too sure either. Do you,
or any of
> your contacts, know much about the pollination needs of' 'Yellow
Glass' and
> 'Saylor' .... cherries? I also got 'Compact Stella' to act as a
universal
> pollinator but a friend is of the opinion that it may flower too
early to do
> the job properly.
>
> The other items I'm still looking for are a good fruiting cultivar
of Morus
> rubra, the American mulberry, and a plum called 'All Red'. Any
suggestions?

> Clive.

  • [nafex] Re: FW: Cherries & Mulberries, edforest55, 09/01/2000