nafex - Re: [nafex] Berry Report

  • From: fluffy bunny <the.fluffy.bunny@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Berry Report
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 22:46:36 -0400

John wrote:

When you say you've got the "Fall Golds" shaded, how so?
Understory, shade cloth....?????
And they are actually showing more color on the leaves than they would
if given "Full Sun? Annnnnd stouter canes????
I had 5 diff variety "Golds" go belly up this season, except for one cane
left, hanging on and maybe because after the rabbit onslaught, I put a
black milk crate over the whole plant and it has continued to grow albeit
slowly.
Thanks Kevin,

My reply:

Hmmm...

I have been hesitating on mentioning this, but...

This year I tested the merits of growing Raspberries in the shade verses
in full sun...by shade I have planted my raspberries underneath some
fully grown locust trees(some 50 feet tall), the only time sun actually
hits the plants is for 45 minutes to a hour a day, the rest of the time
they are shaded...I tested 3 each of Heritage and Taylor in the shade
verses my standard 25 foot rows in full sun...

And the results, well...to my taste buds the plants grown in the shade
actually seemed a bit sweeter, something I was not expecting...the canes
seemed even darker green, and though the sample was small, none if the
canes experienced wilt, which I could not say for those planted in full
sun...however, I did not control the mulch factor, which is to say those
in the sun have a minimum of 6 inches of mulch on them, and those in the
shade did not...

This is a bit contrary to the standard advice given, and the testing
procedure is very loose, but I would encourage other berry growers to
experiment in kind.

John, in answer to your question my FallGold is located in the shade of
the Locust tree.
And I won't even dignify the "rabbit onslaught" comment with a reply : )

Take care,

Very truly yours in growing all sorts of delicious things,

the
fluffy bunny

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.