nafex - Re: [nafex] Bears in orchards

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Bears in orchards
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:53:40 -0400

Thanks to all who gave me suggestions about bears.

I must say that, probably, dogs would be the best way keep them from coming
in the orchard. However, I only go the the orchard on week-ends as I live
and work in the city - and this makes things a bit more complicated.

The worst year I experienced was 1995. That year, the bears were to destroy
the whole orchard in order to eat the last apple. I had to empty the trees
completely about 2-3 weeks before ripeness in order to keep them from
climbing in the trees. I saved the trees but lost 3/4 of the apples.

Since then, a few people built houses near the orchard and they have dogs
who come to see me and play in the orchard. Bears still come, but much
less, and never a problem like in 1995 occured since. But if the bears are
really hungry, they will probably come even if there are dogs around.

I can't use traps or poison because I would probably get the neighbours'
dogs. Another thing I had thought was to use 4x8 plywood with nails driven
through and place those near the trees (I know - this is really mean) but
again this is out because of the neighbours's dogs. If I shoot them, I
don't know what I would do with the carcass. I don't think bear is very
good to eat (anyone has a recipe?) - and a huge hole is needed to bury it.
Finally, the electric fence could the best solution - the neighbours's dogs
would have to get used to it. I would also agree with Derry - I doubt very
much that the fishing line could stop them.

Tom mentioned the possibility of E.coli contamination by bears' gifts. I
don't know if bears can transmit this bacteria. We had a discussion on this
subject a few months ago and it seems deers and cows can transmit it. But
there is no definitive answer as to whether other animals (includinc mice,
birds etc...) can.

Let's hope they won't be too hungry this coming fall...
Claude, Quebec.

Hate housework?...then WIN A MAID....
http://click.egroups.com/1/7009/0/_/423498/_/964470009/