nafex - Re: [nafex] More blueberry questions

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] More blueberry questions
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 08:19:37 -0500

At 07:41 PM 07/24/2000 -0400, you wrote:
Thanks, Lucky. I confess a certain fondness for the wild lowbush
berries of my childhood. Also, I have been looking for small berries
(better for pancakes and baking)
I was interested enough to give it a try, as well, but it just didn't pan out for me. If something doesn't make it in my low-input, low-maintenance(benign neglect) management scheme, I'm not usually inclined to give it a second chance - I just don't have time to baby many things along.
I'll agree with you on the size matter - I make blueberry pancakes for the kids on a regular basis, and those big ol' Spartan or Patriot berries just seem a bit too large - doesn't seem to bother the kids, though. I grew up picking sparkleberries(we called 'em huckleberries), a native woodland blueberry, back home in east-central AL - rarely made it back to the house with any, as most of those tiny little morsels went directly into my mouth. They were ripe when the kids and I visited mom & dad, back in early June this year.

I didn't know rabbiteye blueberries grew in zone 6. Do you have to do
anything special?
They're not recommended, except as trial varieties, in KY, but I'm only about 20 miles north of the TN border, just barely out of zone 7. I've not treated them any differently than my northern highbush types, other than planting a bit farther apart - Dad's bushes are 8 ft tall, with a similar spread. I don't really know what varieties I've got, as these are some Dad rooted from his bushes, and he's forgotten their identities long ago.

Friendship may work just fine for you, and it sounds like it's what you're looking for.

Lucky