nafex - Re: [nafex] bug resistant apple?

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] bug resistant apple?
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:11:52 +0000

I have been -watching/picking from/sharing scions of- a local tree for over
fifteen years. I have never seen ANY insect damage or scab on the fruit in the
tree to date. I have rarely found some worms in fallen apples. This variety
has
been passed out to many NAFEX'ers, the University of NH, and others originally
as SH#1 and later as STRATFORD. I would love to keep sharing this variety with
anyone interested. It ripens during a five to six week window in Zone three,
from late August. It's doubtful if we will ever know if it is a seedling or
named variety resembling almost exactly as described in Beach, ? Cole's Quince
or Fall Pippin (all my notes are at home on my other computer and it's Monday
morning after all!), except that it does not get scab. I would also like to
trial other varieties any of you have that are resistant to anything. I can
send
out bud wood shortly or dormant scions in season..................vic