nafex - [nafex] Wild Trees

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Wild Trees
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 02:07:40 -0700

For Bill Russell:

I have had that same problem with wild walnut trees for quite a few
years, and, I am sorry to say, have found the only remedy to be the
garden fork. They have a long, powerful taproot which develops very
quickly, and the squirrels often plant the nuts 6-8 inches deep. You
have to get most of that root out. I also have significant numbers of
wild oaks, another project of the squirrels, and wild mulberries, which
are dropped by birds. These can also be pretty tough once established,
so I try to get them early by pulling them up. I suppose you could use
roundup on these things, but they are often in the most awkward places,
near bushes and plants, and I am not certain that one shot with roundup
would be effective anyway.
The other part of this equation is squirrel control. I have a
remedy for that, but it may not be for everyone. Squirrels check in to
my yard, but they don't check out. I am seeing fewer walnut and oak
trees, and much lower losses of peaches and pears.

Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Win a Guy and up to $20,000 in repairs to boot!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6283/0/_/423498/_/962950209/