nafex - [nafex] Japanese Beetles- "Soft" Solution

  • From: JOHN_MOSKO@ENGELHARD.COM
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Japanese Beetles- "Soft" Solution
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:42:21 -0400

Guys,

Surround WP, the new product developed by the USDA-ARS and Engelhard,
kicks hiny on Japanese beetles and leafhoppers (not to mention plum
curculio, apple maggot, and others) on apples, grapes, peaches and plums.
Best results are seen if you apply the Surround WP particle film before
infestation, particularly as beetles will resist entering the treated areas
and thus won't release their aggregating pherimones in the treated area to
call others. It's a little late in some parts of the US for JB, but it can
be used as a "rescue"as well.

On the Honeycrisp cultivar, which can attract both pests, an additional
benefit is about a 6 degree cooler canopy, and a 15 degree cooler fruit
which will contribute towards better color and sun scald reduction. We are
specifically studying Honeycrisp this season. On other apples like Gala,
Surround WP cuts severe sunburn damage in about half, or more, in our
studies.

You can apply the particle film early only and allow it to weather off
before harvest. Application(s) made only right before the adult flight
would be enough to at least set them back.

For full protection continue sprays/coverage as long as the infestation
lasts. On apples, the film is easy to remove in packing lines or hand
wiping/washing for small operations. On berries, we are labeled for
processing berries only since every bit of the film may not come off (for
cosmetic purposes) for the fresh market. Traces of Surround are not
problem on the fruit healthwise as the product is exempt from requirements
of a tolerance for residues and is FDA-approved for use in food up to
2.5%. The traces of white are invisible when wet.

Surround WP happens to be Organic Materials Review Institute listed for
organic production if that's important to you.

Hope this helps...

Give me a call if you want to chat. 732-205-7140

John Mosko
Surround Crop Protectants
Engelhard Corp.

Literature only - www.engelhard.com/surround