nafex - Re: [nafex] Food dehydrater

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@harborside.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Food dehydrater
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:22:07 -0700

I would give you my make but the company no longer exists.
It is very good. Has 15 trays 15 inces wide by 17 inches deep.
There is a fan in the rear with a thermostat and cone heater that lets me
control the temp. from 90 to 140 degrees.
I don't have to move the trays about as they all dry evenly.
The case is metal with an inner metal  liner and there may be insulation
between, I can't tell from looking at it.
We also have one of those round stackable plastic hobbiest driers. It does
not do half the job and of course it takes much longer.
If you plan on doing any volume of fruit, I highly recomend a commercial
type dryer. I have seen several other brands in garage sales. So I am sure
you can get one. Maybe in a garage sale like I did with mine.
For an idea of time of drying, I dry 40 apples in about 5 hours for a cost
of 4 cents.
Sam

jhecksel@voyager.net wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Is anybody willing to give me guidance on the purchase of a food
> dehydrator?  Its primary use will be to dehydrate fruit (Duh!).  I want
> it to be large enough to dehydrate the equivalent of what I would
> normally put in 7 quart jars, since my frame of reference is canning.
> Do any of the dryers have a thermostat that will cycle off when the food
> is dry enough?  Are any of the dryers have better air circulation than
> others to minimize the need to move pieces around to get even drying?
> Life is pretty chaotic through the peak of the fruit ripening system.  I
> need a load and forget system.
>
> PS, I lost several of my mulberry grafts when I topped out the trees
> they were in.  The graft was the highest branch and the $%^&*#&^% birds
> landed on it.  Once.

> Win $5000! Click Here:

Visit Ancestry.com for a FREE 14-Day Trial and find your ancestors now.
Search over 550 million names and trace your family tree today. Click here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/5528/0/_/423498/_/962421732/