nafex - Re: [nafex] Pawpaw

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pawpaw
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 21:19:33 -0700

Kirk:
Has anyone done anything there with layering pawpaw? I learned an
interesting version of air layering at the NCGR in Corvallis, used for
Corylus, that might work on pawpaw.
-Lon Rombough
----------
>From: "Kirk W. Pomper" <kpomper@dcr.net>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: Re:[nafex] Pawpaw
>Date: Wed, Jun 28, 2000, 8:48 AM
>

>I thought I would summarize some of the work that has been done here at
>Kentucky State University by Cindy Finneseth and Desmond Layne, in
>cooperation with Robert Geneve at the University of Kentucky on
>propagating pawpaw (Asimina triloba) via cuttings:
>
>1) Semi-hardwood cuttings
>
>Semi-hardwood cuttings were collected from mature trees (5 years old,
>flowering) at the KSU Research Farm; more than 26 genetically different
>trees were used in the study. The cuttings were taken from actively
>growing branches from June until terminal bud set in early August. IBA
>was used as the rooting treatment, with quick dip solutions at
>concentrations of 0, 5000, and 10,000 ppm. After auxin application, the
>cuttings were stuck in flats filled with a 1:1 moistened mixture of
>Promix and perlite. Flats were placed on raised benches in a
>poly-covered greenhouse and a soil temperature was maintained at 80 F
>using a hot water bottom-heated system. Continual intermittent mist was
>provided for 5 seconds every 5 minutes. Only 1 of 5100 cuttings from
>mature tree
>sources formed an adventitious root.
>
>2) Root Cuttings
>
>We have taken root cuttings from dormant trees in February and placed
>the
>cuttings 5 cm deep, in flats filled with a 1:1 mixture of perlite and
>vermiculite. No shoots formed on root pieces less than 5 mm in diameter
>
>over the 24 week period; however, buds and/or shoots were present on 56%
>of
>the root pieces with a diameter of greater 5 mm within 16 weeks. Healthy
>plants can be clonally propagated via root cuttings that produce shoots;
>however, we have had trouble with root cuttings rotting in the flats and
>killing the plants. The clonal propagation of pawpaw rootstock via root
>cuttings does look promising. Unfortunately, virtually all currently
>available pawpaw cultivars have been propagated via grafting or budding
>and are no longer on their own roots.
>
>Kirk Pomper
>--
>Kirk W. Pomper, Ph.D.
>Principal Investigator of Horticulture
>Kentucky State University
>129 Atwood Research Facility
>Frankfort, KY 40601
>
>Phone: 502-227-5942
>Fax: 502-227-6381
>Email: kpomper@dcr.net Check out our web site at:
>or kpomper@gwmail.kysu.edu http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu
>

>--
>Kirk W. Pomper, Ph.D.
>Principal Investigator of Horticulture
>Kentucky State University
>129 Atwood Research Facility
>Frankfort, KY 40601
>
>Phone: 502-227-5942
>Fax: 502-227-6381
>Email: kpomper@dcr.net Check out our web site at:
> [...]

Free Conference Calling with Firetalk!
Host your next egroup meeting live on Firetalk.
Click here!
http://click.egroups.com/1/5478/0/_/423498/_/962252751/