nafex - [nafex] New Strawberry planting

  • From: "Raby, Brian {20-4~Indianapolis}" <BRIAN.RABY@ROCHE.COM>
  • To: "'nafex@egroups.com'" <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] New Strawberry planting
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:14:12 -0400

Title: New Strawberry planting

I have been searching for information about working with a new strawberry planting.

I have planted two rows of strawberries this year and am wondering what to do at this stage.  I have picked off the flowers when they came on, and now have a good deal of runner development.  In all the publications I've been coming across, they talk about what to do after harvest (mowing, mulching, fertilizing, etc...)  But what do I do in the first year of development.  Do I still need to mow off the top in order to direct more energy to runner development or do I leave it alone?  Do I mulch now... do I fertilize now?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Brian Raby
Sheridan, IN