nafex - [nafex] Wine pH and Acidity (offsubject) was: Re: soil ph, measuring

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Wine pH and Acidity (offsubject) was: Re: soil ph, measuring
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 14:06:00 -0000

If I'm remembering correctly a burette is used for titrations, it is
basically a long narrow (glass) tube with precise graduations etched
in its side and a stopcock at the bottom. It allows precise
measurements of how much of a chemical has been added to a solution.

To be honest I don't use one, I use cheap plastic syringes. Not as
precise, but then I only want to know approximately my total Acidity.

I believe Presque Isle Winery (which sells wine-making supplies via
catalog), sells burettes, but they don't list them online, you'd have
to send for their paper catalog: http://www.piwine.com
There may be cheaper sources.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6