nafex - [nafex] Wine pH and Acidity (offsubject) was: Re: soil ph, measuring

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Wine pH and Acidity (offsubject) was: Re: soil ph, measuring
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 19:51:18 -0000

> I have heard all kinds of complaints about ph meters. I run a
couple of
> hundred titrations on wine a year. It is accurate, dependable and
> cheap. All you need is a burette, and a couple of common chemicals.
Titration measures total acidity which is interrelated to pH, but not
identical to it. When making wine, I care about both, but more about
the pH. I do titration on my wine (actually my juice/must) as well,
and am very pleased with the meter that I own (and it is easier than
titration).

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@egroups.com, Carolyn Wood <natvwine@c...> wrote:
> Chris Mauchline wrote:
> >I have a pH meter for measuring the pH of juice for winemaking. It
> >is accurate, but not usable on soils. Cost over $200, and the
sensor
> >(which supposedly needs replaced often) costs $35.
>
> I have heard all kinds of complaints about ph meters. I run a
couple of
> hundred titrations on wine a year. It is accurate, dependable and
> cheap. All you need is a burette, and a couple of common chemicals.
>
> Does anyone on the list know how to prepare a standard sample of
soil
> for titration to measure ph?
> Thanks from central Utah, Bob

Remember the good 'ol days
http://click.egroups.com/1/4053/0/_/423498/_/959716289/

  • [nafex] soil ph, measuring, Carolyn Wood, 05/30/2000
    • [nafex] Wine pH and Acidity (offsubject) was: Re: soil ph, measuring, Christopher Mauchline, 05/30/2000