nafex - [nafex] Sawdust/juglone

  • From: edforest55@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Sawdust/juglone
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 20:52:17 -0000

I just read in a bulletin from a W Virginia extension that juglone
does indeed stick around for more than a year, and that it is most
concentrated in the buds, leaves, hulls, and roots.
I believe it was Carl Weschke who wrote that the juglone was harmless
after one season after the death of the tree.
also, I remember it was a friend of mine who said that he cut down a
Black walnut, let it lie on the ground whereby he believed that it
was completely rotted within a couple years but upon inspection
discovered that it was the sapwood only that had rotted completely
and that the heartwood was as good as new after several years. I have
no personal experiences with this but am quite curious now that there
seems to be two different reports about its rot resistance.
Kevin

Missing old school friends? Find them here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/4055/0/_/423498/_/959201545/