nafex - Re: [nafex] NAFEX Group questions

  • From: LONGDISTSHTR <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] NAFEX Group questions
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 08:42:57 -0400

Raby Brian {20-4~Indianapolis} wrote:

> To all NAFEX readers and writers:
>
> 1st question: I just received my benchgraft trees a few days ago, and
> am getting ready to plant them. The directions say that I should
> plant them "in the corner of the garden". However, it does not
> indicate how deep I plant them. These will only be temporarily
> planted until I can transplant them to a permanent site, but the
> directions doesn't say how deep I plant them now. I know that
> normally I would place the graft union 2 inches about ground, but do I
> follow that rule now if I'm going to replant them next year?
>
> 2nd questions: My wife and I also have a few hives of bees. We've
> been getting our bee stock and queens primarily out of the Georgia
> area. There is one particular hive that is unusually aggressive and
> we can't figure out why. The hive did give us a great quantity of
> honey last year, but to work with this hive is also a big risk. The
> bees are exceedingly aggressive to the point that when we work in the
> hive body, we have our kids, and sometimes the dog, go inside the
> house. Is there a strain of an Africanized bee that we may have
> picked up along the way? We can't figure out why this hive is much
> more aggressive than the others we have. Any ideas out there? We are
> almost to the point of destroying this hive and starting over.
>
> Brian Raby
> Sheridan, IN

Brian, I've found in over 50 years of beekeeping that an aggressive hive
in an apiary is usually due to two queens, no queen, wax moths/larvae,
mice, ants, neglected hives or black German bees. Of all these neglect
is the most common 'cause "look and ye shall find" applies to good bee
keeping. There are "bee havers" (many more of them) and "bee keepers)
and most advice comes from the bee havers. Mainly because bee keepers
tend to make some sort of living with it and don't have a lot of time
for explaining the real in's and out's of apiculture. In a lifetime you
will learn that everything you read about it and learn from observing it
will eventually be proven exactly wrong. Those who give advice on it
just haven't been around long enough or make a living teaching it,
usually both and are always bee havers. Saw dust, burlap, pine needles
make good smoke. You can tell if a farmer has AfroBees; his dog is dead.
There are no skunks for miles. Doc Lisenby SC

Come and buy today and get free shipping!
http://click.egroups.com/1/4011/0/_/423498/_/959085792/