nafex - Re: [nafex] NY 428 apple variety

  • From: Ed & Pat Fackler <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] NY 428 apple variety
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 07:15:44 -0400

George:

NY 428 was a tad smaller than 429, possessed rather course flesh (a tad
harder than 429), flesh was greenish white. Flavor okay, perhaps a tad better
than 429 as grown here.
I think Gene Wild of Indy still has trees of 428.

Ed Fackler

George Greene wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am interested in getting any ones opinion on the NY 428 apple variety. I
> think it was available some years ago from the NY Cooperative Fruit Testing
> Assoc. It is a sister to NY 429 that was named Fortune in 1995. The
> original cross was made in 1962 by Roger Way. It is a 'Schoharie Spy'
> times 'Empire' cross.
>
> Best regards, George Greene
>
> George M. Greene II Fruit Res. and Ext. Center
> Dept. of Horticulture PO Box 330
> Penn State University 290 University Drive
> Biglerville, PA 17307-0330
> Phone: 717-677-6116 Ext. 7 E mail gmg6@psu.edu
> Fax: 717-677-4112
>
> Tree Fruit Production Guide --- http://tfpg.cas.psu.edu/
> Small Scale Fruit Prod. Guide --- http://ssfruit.cas.psu.edu/
> My Web page --- http://hortweb.cas.psu.edu/faculty/greene/
> Fruit Res. and Ext. Center --- http://frec.cas.psu.edu/

> SHOPPING for DEALS? The merchants at BuyItOnline.com are offering up
> to 30% OFF great gear, wear, gadgets and more, now through April 15,
> 2000. Real stores. Real Deals. Real Easy. Go get something great!

Remember the good 'ol days
http://click.egroups.com/1/4053/0/_/423498/_/959080236/