msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Long time no post

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: waynebare <wwaynebare@aol.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Long time no post
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 14:04:03 -0400

Thanks Una    Wayne Bare

-----Original Message-----
From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Mon, Mar 9, 2015 12:59 pm
Subject: [MSAR] Long time no post

MSAR-Riders folks,

Wow, it has been a while!  I have been super busy with
life including
SAR.  Here's a short update.  After working for many years as a
Section
Chief (Logistics, Planning, Operations, in that order) I have moved
up
to Incident Commander.  I will be working Type 4 (least complex)
SAR
missions without staff support, which means concentrating more on
the
operations role;  also interviewing the mission initiator,
reporting
party, concerned family, etc.

Resources available to us ICs
include 53 recognized SAR teams in the
current NM SAR Resource Directory.  Of
those 53 teams 10 list MSAR as
a specialty.  Many other teams have some mounted
resources.

I have taken a lot of courses in recent years.  One course that
stands
out is Bob Koester's Lost Person Behavior.  The foundation of the
course
is his book, but the real value of the course is in the map
exercises.
Students learn to *use* the book.  NM SAR has selected LPB as
required
training for all Incident Management Team members, meaning ICs and
SCs.

	Una Smith
	New
Mexico