msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] How would/did you handle

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Joe Huston <jchuston@earthlink.net>
  • Cc: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] How would/did you handle
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 09:44:03 -0600

Apologies to Joe for his post going out to MSAR-Riders only now, in May!
It languished for months in the list software's "problem with this post"
bucket. The list software holds posts for all sorts of reasons, and the
list of reasons sometimes changes without notice.

Una

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 01:11:18PM -0600, Joe Huston wrote:
>On a search this past weekend, accompanied by 2 ATV’s, we searched
>a wooded area from which, late in the search, a stallion appeared
>with designs on my mare. Things turned out OK only because the ATV’s
>ran guard duty around my mare and me. If I had known he was in the
>area, I would not have gone in there with her. I am looking to see
>if anyone else has experienced this and how did you handle it along
>with suggestions from others.

I have taken a mare on a search with a stallion present. There was
interest and much snorting and squealing from him, but that's all.
My mare was not interested, nor was she bothered by him. He was
obedient enough under saddle, later tied to his trailer, then put
away in his trailer.

My mare and I did have other encounters with far less well mannered
horses that were loose. In each case various actions were taken and
things turned out OK, but I would not say things turned out OK "only
because" one action or another was taken. Usually, loose horses
just like loose dogs are "just messing with you" and are easy to
discourage with glares, body language, and defensive movements. In
no instance allow a loose horse to get close enough to turn around
and kick. That is where legs, horse and human alike, get broken.

My mare was a retired polo pony, very comfortable mixing it up with
stranger horses, and quite able to maintain and defend her personal
boundaries with a minimum of fuss. If I ever made the mistake of
letting an aggressive horse get into kicking range, in my experience
the best response would be to immediately ride right into the horse.
This is a polo move and prevents a kick. Kicking involves a shift
of weight onto the forehand; in this moment even a small push will
cause the kicking horse to lose its balance and fall. The horse
instinctively will resist the push by shifting its weight onto the
hindquarters.

Hope this helps,