msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Shots--Time for Thought

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Vicky Trainor <dmvsar08@gmail.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Shots--Time for Thought
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 12:53:05 -0400

After inquiring about Lyme Disease vaccinations for my horse, my vet sent me the following information:  "Currently, there is no USDA approved Lyme disease vaccine for use in
horses. Some horse owners have elected to vaccinate their horses using
one of three Lyme disease vaccines approved for use in dogs. However,
there is no research or clinical information to support the use of any
dog vaccine for Lyme disease prevention in the horse. In fact, use of
the vaccine will make interpretation of the diagnostic tests more
difficult should this disease be suspected. In addition, researchers
have reported finding the spirochete organism in clinically ill horses
who had previously been given the dog vaccine! Insect control is
probably the best method of preventive medicine for horse owners to
decrease their horses= exposure to ticks." (Source:http://www.equinevetservice.com/lyme.htm)