msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] HELP LOST HORSE

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] HELP LOST HORSE
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 09:40:13 -0600

Okay, this is a horse not a person but many of the same planning steps
and logistics issues still apply. So put on your thinking caps and see
what you can do to help.

Giselle did mention a county name and the area code gives the state.
Put these together: Lewis County, New York, USA. Wikipedia locates the
county on a map: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_County,_New_York

The MSAR Units Web Directory gives a sketch of how SAR is organized in
New York State: http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/units/#New%20York

The MSAR Units directory refers to a New York State Federation of Search
and Rescue, which has map locator tool. For Lewis County NY there are 2
SAR teams: Lewis County SAR and Boonville SAR Team. Either team may be
able to assist, or provide contacts to others who may assist.

This is roughly the procedure I follow whenever I work logistics for a
SAR mission in New Mexico, only I work from a resource directory that
has already gathered most of the contact information I need. I locate
resources and contact them to ask for specific kinds of help. I work
the phones for hours on end.

Other resources include spontaneous volunteers, saddle clubs, amateur
radio clubs, etc.

Your best bet is to locate someone with visual tracking (mantracking)
skills. Local deer hunters? Hunting club? Call outfitters, hunting
equipment stores, firearm stores, forest rangers, etc.