msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Air Scent Horses!

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Kate Beardsley <katebeardsley@hotmail.com>
  • To: "msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Air Scent Horses!
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 13:46:16 +0000

Ruthie & Others,

 Don't just ponder too long! We just wrapped up our 8th Air Scent Clinic with Terry Nowacki last night by doing a Field Trial and a demo for the local Sheriff's Office. We are developing some very nice scent detection horses here with Terry's help and were pleased to have the largest clinic attendance yet. And, yes, the Sheriff was impressed.
I will tell you that it is the most fun you can have with your boots on. What a rush it is when your horse follows that scent - perhaps a bit more determined than you expected!
Scent Detection in horses is alive, well, and very real. Once you've taken a clinic, you'll realize how much sense it makes and you won't be able to ever go back to understanding why you questioned it in the first place.
As for applications outside of SAR, please note that scent work with horses is truly the highest form of natural horsemanship currently being practiced. It is a great relationship builder.
Join the fun!
Kate

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 14:26:38 -0600
> From: Una Smith una.smith@att.net

> Hi Ruthie,
>
> Teaching a horse to follow scent not only can be done, it has been done.
> One person who has done it is Terry Nowacki; for a few years he posted
> a lot on MSAR-Riders so you can read all Terry's posts in our archive.
> For links to the archive visit http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/msar-riders .
> Note that the archive can be searched too!
> Message: 10
> Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 20:56:39 -0400
> From: Ruthie Franczek <ruthiefranczek@hotmail.com>

> OK thank y'all for the responses! I will ponder this.
> Ruthie

  • Re: [MSAR] Air Scent Horses!, Kate Beardsley, 06/07/2013