msar-riders - [MSAR] Team SOP questions from Stillwater County SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Stillwater County SAR <stillwatercountysar@gmail.com>, nmsar-forum@googlegroups.com
  • Subject: [MSAR] Team SOP questions from Stillwater County SAR
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 10:09:41 -0600

Hello MSAR-Riders,

Below is a compilation of e-mails over several days between myself and
Cynthia
Arnold of Stillwater County SAR in Montana, USA. She contacted the New Mexico
SAR Council, and I responded as a member of the NMSARC Board. This is Cc'd to
her and to the New Mexico SAR community e-mail discussion list, NMSAR-forum.

Regards all,

Una Smith wrote:
>>> Crystal,
>>>
>>> The Field Certification evaluation is, as described on the NMSARC
>>> website, a
>>> combination of two written tests (ICS, Field Certification Study Guide), a
>>> pack check, and a very basic test of the person's ability to take a
>>> compass
>>> bearing on a distant object. We have a basic training program for
>>> so-called
>>> Field Cert evaluators, who are the people who conduct the evaluations.
>>> The
>>> entire program is outside the NMSAR Council, however. The Council is a
>>> membership organization of our volunteer SAR teams. Field Certification
>>> is
>>> a program of our agency having jurisdiction, through our state SAR
>>> Resource
>>> Office. The most appropriate contact person for the program, who can best
>>> answer your operational questions about how the program is administered,
>>> is
>>> Frank Mulholland <TheMulhollandGroup@gmail.com>.
>>>
>>> You, or someone else in Montana, might consider attending one of our Field
>>> Certification evaluations as an observer. We hold one every year during
>>> our
>>> annual SAR conference, called ESCAPE. Next ESCAPE will be in May 2013.
>>> On
>>> the NMSAR Council calendar are other Field Certification evaluation
>>> dates.
>>> The next one is November 3rd near Santa Fe. At ESCAPE we may also hold
>>> the
>>> class to qualify new evaluators; you might want to observe that too.
>>>
>>> Most of the training and qualifying of individual SAR responders here in
>>> New
>>> Mexico is handled by the teams. We have many dozens of teams, a few of
>>> them
>>> connected with county sheriff's offices.
>>>
>>> Our mounted teams train and qualify their horses to their own team
>>> internal
>>> standards. Those vary a great deal from team to team. I know that some

Una Smith wrote:
>> By the way, the NMSARC calendar entry for the Field Certification on
>> November 3
>> (http://nmsarc.org/calendar/view_entry.php?date=20121103&id=285) describes
>> in a
>> little more detail how the Field Certification works.

Stillwater County SAR wrote:
> *Thank, you and please forward any questions to the appropriate person(s).
> Im afraid my response to the board was bounced back since I am not a member
> of the list.*
> *
> *A couple of quick questions, is there a probationary period before you may
> take the field certification? Or is it just when the test is
> given/candidate feels they are ready?*
> *How extensive is the written test?*
> *
> *We currently have a checklist the candidate must complete before they can
> be considered for active call out but I would like to see a test of some
> sort required before going into the field.

The Field Certification written test is approximately 50 questions with
multiple
choice answers. Note that to take the test the individual must first complete
some training elsewhere and show a certificate of it to the Field
Certification
evaluators.

Your other questions concern issues that in New Mexico are handled at the
level
of teams, not by the state agency having jurisdiction nor the state SAR
council.
Those questions would be better to address to a large forum such as
MSAR-Riders.

I am copying this to MSAR-Riders for their information and any more comments.

Una