msar-riders - [MSAR] Wildfire season again in New Mexico

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Wildfire season again in New Mexico
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 15:53:42 -0600

Our big fire is burning north of Silver City, moving north in a wilderness
area. Only a few structures have been lost. Los Alamos, a few hundred
miles north of Silver City, has seen a few days of thick smoke but we are
not at risk. This fire is a devastating blow for the Gila National Forest,
and the fire is now the largest in New Mexico history, larger even than
the Las Conchas fire here in Los Alamos a year ago.

Monsoon rains are not due for another month.

Locally horse owners are worried about vandalism and thefts and vesicular
stomatitis.