msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] TROTSAR on the news

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Bob Foster <bfostermed@gmail.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] TROTSAR on the news
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 19:49:58 -0800

I am a member of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department MSAR team.  First did you find the child?

I am in charge of training for our unit.  I am always looking for an opportunity to simulate the facts and circumstances of real MSAR events as well as incorporating new training ideas.

Could you send me so info that I could possibly use for training?

What were the circumstances on this search and rescue and what signs/tracks were found by MSAR?

How was your MSAR beneficial in this operation?

When you are out on 12/12 shifts, what do you do as far as food is concerned and do you sleep in your trailers or some other shelter?  for you and your horse.

Do you use a pack animal?

What would you say are the mandatory items to carry?  For you as a rider and then for you to give first aid?

I discourage the use of chest lamps for the horse, I think it ruins nigh vision, but I have some team members that swear by the light.  What is  your opinion?

Thanks for any help.  We are relatively untested in any operation that has gone more than 12 hours so your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Deputy Bob Foster
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department
Mounted Enforcement Detail/Training
Cell Phone: 661.309.7399