msar-riders - [MSAR] EHV-W OUTBREAK CALIF

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: JENNY WARD <jenny_ward@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] EHV-W OUTBREAK CALIF
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 12:23:36 -0700 (PDT)

FYI . . I received this message last night . . Kennedy Meadows is on Hwy 108 south of Lake Tahoe.

Subject: EHV-1 OUTBREAK AT KENNEDY MEADOWS

ANNOUNCEMENT -

We have received word from Matt Bloom that there has been and outbreak of EHV-1 at the Pack Station.  One animal has died and another is in critical condition and will be euthanized.  UC Davis Veterinary EHV-1 Team is at Kennedy assessing the situation.  I talked to Joan and she was helpful with correct information.  She was appreciative to know that MVU will spread the outbreak status to all of our members. Currently, nine animals are experiencing raised temperatures and no other symptoms at this time.  It is suspected that a transient EHV-1 carrier was at Kennedy Meadows over the Labor Day Holiday.

Since Deer Season is opening this weekend, it is highly recommended that alternate trailheads be utilized until further information is received.

Please be aware especially if you were in the area over Labor Day

Jane Taylor
Corresponding Secretary SRVHA