msar-riders - [MSAR] Loading practice for evacuation, vet emergencies etc.

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Loading practice for evacuation, vet emergencies etc.
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 22:18:05 -0700 (PDT)

Una is right.  If you have a horse that does not load easily, they can often sense unease/hurry in a crisis.  We have an older, now mostly retired, former track thoroughbred that really did not like getting to a stock trailer esp. a standard-height one and loading was always a challenge.  A professional who worked with our horse, then trained me, was invaluable and these skills help me with other horses.

I also learned this TB, who is 16.3 hands, really preferred an extra tall trailer or about 7'5" for head room, a window he could stick his head out until we were ready to roll also helped. Some horses are more claustrophobic than others and we really are asking them to something against their instincts.  I will always try different trailers before buying because of what this horse taught me and don't dread loading and going places now.

Finally, try to make trips/stops as smooth as possible.  I have heard it helps to try riding alone in a trailer being pulled to appreciate how it feels for your horse.  If you have an erratic driving style, it may be stressful for your mount.