msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Evacuation plans

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@verizon.net
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Evacuation plans
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 09:08:39 -0500 (CDT)

If you do any work in your communities regarding large animal evacuation planning the biggest factor in determining if your horse will be evacuated is WILL IT LOAD! In our rural community we have many folks who have equines but don't have trailers. So they never practice loading those animals. A crisis is not a good time to teach that skill! We have had the same experience as Una described- equines left behind because we couldn't get them to load.

If you haven't done any large animal evac planning your SAR group might want to spearhead some. A plan for large animal evacuation is a really good thing. We have a full plan that includes procedures for marking and transporting, as well as describes responsibilities for radio communications, deployment, transport, etc.

If you live in a rural fire-prone area it's important to be prepared. When you are battling a fire it's too late.

Chris