msar-riders - [MSAR] Was: Search for Lauren Spierer Now: local vs gov control

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@verizon.net
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Was: Search for Lauren Spierer Now: local vs gov control
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 09:35:46 -0500 (CDT)

There are pro's and con's to having to be certified by the State or one of their departments/agencies.

Pro's- everyone has a minimum level of training and you can focus on your job (the search or rescue) and not worry about someone on your 'team' being hurt - or worse; the skills necessary to doing a good job are taught and practiced; skills necessary for participating in, and conducting, an effective search and/or rescue are taught and practiced; insurance is often available (and coverage while doing this type of work is absolutely essential); those with good intentions but zero skills are removed from the equation before they can do serious damage to the search; there are more but those are the start of a pretty good list.

Con's- when too much of the local control is removed it decreases the effectiveness of units; depending on the size of the control unit those at the higher end who are responsible for deploying resources may not be familiar with all the units and their capabilities and so may under, or over, utilize specific units; if the requirements become too onerous the volunteers may - not.

I am in an area where the Sheriff's control the SAR teams. I have been doing SAR long enough to have watched the progression from almost no rules- just get out and search, to many rules and regulations. As in anything where change is happening there have been uncomfortable times as we all adjusted. However, with very few exceptions, every regulation has been for a good reason and has resulted in much better units. We happen to belong to a fantastic SAR community in my county- we work together, have many specialties, and are all fairly well trained. I would not hesitate to be assigned to work with any other team in the county. I know, because of that department control, that they will know what they are doing, be able to perform well during a search, will not become part of the problem, and will be able to work well with others as a team dedicated to saving lives. THAT is a huge benefit to have a governmental department in control. :-)  A bonus to all of that is that we are covered by the departments liability insurance- whether that be a lawsuit by a victim or their family, or injury to ourselves, our vehicles,  or our mounts- we are covered when performing a service for the state. (in today's sue-happy world I really appreciate this!)

For those rules/regulations that don't work so well- we work to change them by showing the department a better way.

Chris
sbsar.org