msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Tracking from the saddle, etc

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Tracking from the saddle, etc
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 04:47:34 -0700

LOL!  Seems I need to remind folks my original post was intended to provide a TV example where those who scoffed at the idea of tracking from the saddle could see it on camera. It wasn't intended to be an example of SAR / MSAR, but I used the opportunity to identify some of the knowledge and skills shown in the program are / can be applied to MSAR.

I almost didn't cc MSAR-L, figuring most in MSAR already are at least aware, even if they don't yet have the skill set. My primary target was non-riders in SAR on another discussion group, to provide a bit of education. I apparently accomplished that, based on personal email stating essentially "I didn't know that!" from several sources. And hopefully the SAR trackers who recently scoffed at the concept of tracking from the saddle will finally understand it really can be done. ;-)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Jorene Downs

SAR, CERT, Emergency Communications

Mounted SAR

http://www.ceoates.com/msar

KJ6JCD

From: T'mi Finkle
The truth remains that we are talking about a (made for) television program here.  Yes, tracking can be done from horseback if the appropriate conditions are present and I have followed tracks myself while mounted.  While there are some SAR strategies present in the show; the show, the program is not about educating SAR responders.  I consider this show not much different than the CSI programs that have become so popular that is based upon some real world application and with the good guys winning most of the time.  Given a different program director’s twist and supporting production staff, Terry Grant’s starring role could be that of the “prey,” thus making the trackers (and their skills) look very foolish. .I enjoy watching this program just as much as I enjoy NCIS. Now where is my remote?

T’mi

TROTSAR