msar-riders - [MSAR] Regarding the FREE thoroughbreds...for MSAR?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>, "Mounted search and rescue in Illinois USA." <msar-il@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Regarding the FREE thoroughbreds...for MSAR?
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 14:34:58 -0800 (PST)

IN REPSONSE TO:

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:59:24 -0800 (PST)
From: Beatrice Sharp <ibeathere@yahoo.com>
To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [MSAR] Free horses

>From: Susan J. Duke <susanjduke@yahoo.com>
>To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
>Cc: Gary <Glh2720@cs.com>; Lori S <horsecrazy1@gmail.com>; Cheri
><ItsABrez@aol.com>; Lynn <Goldenacreslynn@aol.com>; Rick <FireHorse7@aol.com>;
>Kee Kee <Horsequestunltd@aol.com>; IK9R Training Group <ik9r@yahoogroups.com>;
>Rebecca Reed <horselady@consolidated.net>
>Sent: Thu, February 3, 2011 6:03:25 PM
>Subject: [MSAR] Free horses
>

>"52 thoroughbred horses need homes. Will go to Sugarcreek this Sat for
>slaughter.
>> Owener died & son wants nothing to do with them. Most broodmares are broke,
>>some are in foal weanling, yearlings, 2 & 3 yrs old most are gelded."FREE" &
>>papered. Friend of deceased is trying to find homes 440-463-4288 or 440-463-4288
>>Barnesville, Ohio

---------------------->>>>>>>>>>

Regarding the above horses and not to be unkind, but.. I'd like to say first of all.... anyone obtaining a thoroughred,  no matter what the source and especially ones off  the track, please be advised that horses that have been on the race track are often times trained differently than your average backyard horses and track horses more often than not require re-training to become reliable mounts for other puposes.  Thoroughbred stock from the track will require time to retrain and settle and  time is money.  Free equates to an expensive proposition if you have never owned and trained a horse before and deals like this can make even the most experienced horseman go broke faster than a lead balloon.

If however one is so inclined to get into a horse of this nature you may want to be advised of a few things and I am not singling out these horses in this deal in particular, but know what I know from past experience... Many track horses are trained on the principle to run like heck with a rein of contact and slow or stop on a throw away rein.  So with that in mind for safety.. there is a heads up caveat.  Horses from the track are highly spirited.

Obviously people who do not want anything to do with horses have reasons like perhaps they do not know how to care for them so the horses may be with other issues and health could be a concern.  Health is always a concern regardless of where the animal is sold at.

Anyone getting one might be well to do to have their prospect vetted and vetted thoroughly.
Winded horses, lameness, navicular, shyness are some things also to be concerned with along with the other things that a smart horsemen would typically vet the animal for.

So with that said, are any of these thoroughbreds a good canditate for anyone for MSAR?
Just my 2c as an experienced horseperson and one that hates to see especially people  get hurt and injured or the horses neglected.  Sometimes there is a far better place to be rid of an animal and a far better way to acquire an animal.

Like I have always said before, consider the  permanant end of the tral with a mount before you consider its beginning.  If you cant deal with the entire ride, perhaps its better to be horseless.

I wish these people good luck with there animals and safety for anyone diving in.
        Karen

The information contained in this transmission is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or protected from disclosure.    If you are not the       intended recipient, do not disseminate, distribute or copy this communication.If you have received this         transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender and then delete it. Thank you for your                 compliance.   Please also do not forward without my permission. Thank  you.                                         1/1/11