msar-riders - [MSAR] Signals...Cross fired or misfired?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>, "Mounted search and rescue in Illinois USA." <msar-il@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Signals...Cross fired or misfired?
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 17:07:00 -0800 (PST)

RESPONDING TO

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 08:19:42 -0800
From: "Rick Tracy" <rick@westcoastframe.com>
To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [MSAR] Hello, MSAR

Irv,

I agree partly in the best way to develop the bond and trust is to ride as
much as you can, but if the horse has a problem with a certain area, don't
you think it would be wise to simulate this in an arena not only for the
safety of the rider but the horse?

For instance, we have a fellow rider whose horse was terrified of people on
bikes.  After a few of sessions in the arena and a controlled environment
they (the horse and rider) are ok on the trail.

We ride on many areas that include people on foot, quads and bikes.  Not
everyone has the opportunity to have their horses acclimated to all of these
at the same time.  What better way to do this but at a desensitizing clinic?

I also must state that we have participated in some great desensitizing
clinics and some that weren't, but to say to avoid them all, I feel is a not
a good statement.

Rick Tracy

I think both Irvs points and Ricks here are note worthy however desensitizing is one thing, sensatizing is entirely another.  You do not want a total bombdead horse.. you want a realiable horse and one that you can read and ride and it can also read you and its surrondings.

Alerting to a motorbike, bear or clue etc ahead and having a panic attack are two different signals with causes and effects that can be as different as nitgh and day.  A misread on the riders part wtih rider error often ends  in a rider hitting the ground and might not alwasy ne a pleasant ending.

Question Rick, Irv how do you guys there train for scents?

Bottom line in either situation.. riding a lot is the best teacher.  Tomorrow is a new
day and there is always the chance for that new experience never experienced by either the horse or the rider.  The more you ride the more you become a team and trust builds.

Irv, cranky?  Nah, Missy, you just got to understand Irv.  You  want cranky.. I have a mare in heat that one might think she is acting cranky and will alert one way while she is in heat and another when she is not.. so ergo, riding her is the only thing that is going to teach her and the rider to trust and read accordingly.  Sometimes shes just acting cranky and other times she means it!

Ya'll have a safe ride
        Karen

The information contained in this transmission is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or protected from disclosure.    If you are not the       intended recipient, do not disseminate, distribute or copy this communication.If you have received this         transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender and then delete it. Thank you for your                 compliance.   Please also do not forward without my permission. Thank  you.                                         1/1/11>

  • [MSAR] Signals...Cross fired or misfired?, Karen Nesbitt, 01/24/2011