msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Winter Searches

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Winter Searches
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 22:38:51 -0800 (PST)

Responding to:
------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 06:09:05 -0700
From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [MSAR] snow searches

Lois, I would not have tried to respond with horses in 2 feet of snow
(blowing snow?  even worse).  Trailering on icy roads takes practice
and recreational horse riders don't get practice loading, trailering,
or riding in any kind of foul weather.

Wood ash and sand is what my family in snow country uses to control
ice on their driveway.  It looks bad but is very effective.

On one search my horse slipped on ice while loading at home.  That
caused her to balk at loading for the return trip.  There we were in
a slick pulloff beside a mountain highway, cold and tired, and my
normally eager to load horse would not load.  Nuts.  She was a wise
horse though and after thinking about it for some minutes, she did
climb very carefully into the trailer.

Searching in snow, snowballs can be a signficant problem, especially
if the horse is shod.

Another thing about searching on horseback in cold weather:  the rider
is prone to get very cold.  During that 7 hours in the saddle search I
mentioned, I had to dismount and walk for several hours simply to make
more muscle heat.

We have discussed winter searches here before.  Dig in our archives.

    Una
I agree with Una on winter call outs.  I used to do alot more riding in the winter especially, however back then it was for recreation in my younger days....deep snow, ice, shallow snow, blowing snow, wooded areas.. given the choice.. I prefer now not to ride in winter anymore or especially where I do not know the territory.  I prefer not to put my person in jeoprody, nor my horse or my equipment in excess danger.  Would prefer not to deploy any team.

Horses have the grand ability to slip and fall more and if you have ever had one slip when on it and land on your leg....need I say more.

Black ice under snow cannot be seen.  Tredging where you might be on a lake or lake bed is hazardous.  Thinking the ice might hold is a far cry from knowing.

Shoeing horses in winter is really not the best idea.  As Una said, ice balls can form however, barefooted horses will get them too.  Mind your pastured animals, they should not go ignored.

Trailering horses that are off a ride is a high risk health issue for colds, hypo and  if you do not have the time to dry properly.. your just asking for big trouble.

Falls inside a trailer in winter can occur more easily.  And a fall while you are driving is more likely to occur with a horse in winter.  Sand or kitty litter on the floor can help horses get a grip.

Keeping water to your mount can get critical when on the road and be a big problem thus also making dehydration a concern.

Frostbite, frozen members.   Cold lungs, bad hearts...chaps are a must for winter riding.  Fleece saddle covers are a joy to have on board too.

Looking for one could result in the loss of more... While I have deep sympathy for anyone who has a lost one,   especially in winter, perhaps the idea is better to gear things on how best to avoid the possibility  of a search so as not to deploy a team.  That should be good thought for all year.

Stranded drivers... stay in your vehicle.  If you have to be on the road pack a winter survival kit.  You will be easier found in your vehicle than taking a hike and risking your life more.
When its time to break out the tire chains, its past time to stay off the road.  Perhaps a discussion on what to pack in a winter survival kit while driving is inorder.  Some things to pak.. a red blanket vs a white or perhaps those thermal orange or silver moon blankets.  Candles, matches, snack foods that will not spoil in the cold.  Flash light, cell phone, battery charger for cell phone.  wear  or have in the vehicle appropriate clothing...boots, gloves hats coats... extra gloves, extra socks and proper boots.

Driving in winter you need increased awareness of your surroundings.  Increase your stopping distances, dont tail gate, anticipate that ice that forms on those bridges, or on those shady sides of the mountain roads and exersize caution on those ramps...
ahead of you, expect that there may be sudden fog, black ice or blowing snow.  Black ice is shiney, but is totally invisible when the snow covers the road.  Driving in bulky clothes hinders movement.  Polarized sunglasses can increase vision. keep the tank full, the fliuds checked.

Just some more thoughts on this topic.
        Karen

The information contained in this transmission is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or protected from disclosure.    If you are not the       intended recipient, do not disseminate, distribute or copy this communication.If you have received this         transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender and then delete it. Thank you for your                 compliance.   Please also do not forward without my permission. Thank  you.                                         1/1/11>

  • Re: [MSAR] Winter Searches, Karen Nesbitt, 01/07/2011