msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Radio Headsets

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Radio Headsets
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 18:15:47 -0400

We gave up on headsets and boom mikes a long time ago. They are high
maintenance unless you go to police motorcycle or better type from
Plantronics(?) or equivalent. We have some speaker mike units, one of the
800 MHz has remote channel switching which means if you hit with you chin
you can change settings, or trip the man down button.

First, what kind of radio are using. We use only FCC Part 90 Public Safety
Land Mobile and cellular. These radios are designed to be used with
headsets. That is they have a single plug where the cable is screwed in and
connects speaker, mike and PTT (and some have an antenna) to the device. It
is attached to the radio and will not unplug without unbolting it.
Second is where do you carry the radio. I wear my mine on my belt, outside
of chaps. Some prefer mountain rescue chest harnesses. Many of our members
carry on the pommel or breast harness. How accessible the unit is to change
channels, volume, PTT, etc. directly affects operations. This is why most
police and fire users actually grab the radio to use it. The newer 800
Motorolas (RX5000 rugged) may be waterproof to 10 feet but they die at 275
F. This means fire fighters are wearing them inside their turnouts for
protection.
Our VHF portables are Bendix King (RELM) 14 channel software controlled in
the range from 148-174 MHz. They weigh 48 ounce3s (3 pounds) with the
largest rechargeable battery (1400 MAH) and will function as 5 watt or 1.5
watt output units with all controls top mounted except for PTT. They are
analog but will operate in narrowband analog according to the
specifications. They are cloneable, field programmable (at least the ones
with keyboards are) and have ANI if we program it on.
Most are over 20 years old and still meet the new product specifications.
If you find these on the used equipment market they should run about $50
each, plus a new Chinese battery is around $25, and chargers vary from free
to $15 each. New they were listed at $1500 or so complete. Most of ours
came from the Columbia University (NYC) campus police through a dealer.

These VHF radios were used by the National Forest Service's Fire Radio Cache
program for many years in VHF and UHF and may be available surplus. They
were also issued to combat troops as AN/PRC-127 if remember the stock model
number properly. These radios covered 136 to 164 MHz