msar-riders - [MSAR] Bomproof vs well trained

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>, "Mounted search and rescue in Illinois USA." <msar-il@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Bomproof vs well trained
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:29:28 -0700 (PDT)

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:13:58 -0700
From: "Annabelle Pattison" <aapattison@aol.com>
To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: [MSAR] Bombproof

I really do not like this term at all. I like my horses to be trained and
desensitized to specific stimuli. We want them to partner with us because
our horses will "hear" way before us could see or hear. We need to know how
to "read" our horses so we know what to expect when they alert us.

Training in different environments is key. We are blessed here in AZ because
we can pick our terrain. From heavy forest to deserts and from plains to
mountains, we got it. When you are searching out there for somebody your
horse has to know how to negotiate the terrain and be safe. They need to
know to stay away from Chollas and keep their distance from Sahuaros and
Mesquite. Otherwise you are doomed out there and will end up being rescued
yourself.

Our recent search for three lost hikers/prospectors in the Superstition
Mountains represented a complexity of training issues:
1- Very rough terrain: rocky, steep, full of boulders and cacti, thick brush
and 3 feet tall grass.
2- High heat: 95 degrees at 6am. 113 by 10:30am.
3- Rattle snakes
4- Communications: no cell phone reception and very difficult radio
transmission.
5- Multiple search parties: horses, dogs, helicopters, planes, foot.
6- Multiagency search

The list goes on...
My philosophy is: go out and train, train, train and expose your horse to
everything you can think off but above all, learn how to read your horse.

A. Pattison
MCSO EVMP SAR