msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Gem County Idaho search

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Irvin Lichtenstein " <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Gem County Idaho search
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:43:58 -0400

I would suggest a change in tactics next time. You must clear the area
around the CP or other high traffic potential areas to preserve clues.
We had a several confrontations with first in IC's who insisted on parking
the big Diesel powered command vehicle next to the subject's vehicle or
campsite. We finally convinced the cops that these were potential crime
scenes and to maintain at least a 100 yard perimeter.

If the hasty teams came up dry as it seems they did, a different focus is
needed and both ops and plans must be flexible enough to change. In this
area we still have people who search the donut and forget the hole because
the subject must have cleared the minimum distance by now.

Lastly, a mushroom hunter is not always chasing mushrooms. They can go for a
walk, try a new area, or get disoriented and go the wrong way (which is
probably why we are there to start with). Keep an open mind at all times.

The book says we should be finding walkaways a lot further out then we do.
But then maybe they fell down and died before the book said they would.
The obvious should be investigated, but the obscure may be where they are.

Irv Lichtenstein