msar-riders - [MSAR] funding MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Lois Guyon <laguyon2@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR-Riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] funding MSAR
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:21:14 -0700 (PDT)

I would caution against funding using what I call the "bake sale mentality."
Using the "bake sale" method, you get the members to purchase ingredients for
the food, put their labor into making the food, and then purchase the food of
other members. The sale generates little outside money and lots of work for
the members. Many fund raisers use this model --- not efficient or effective!

The alternatives I have seen used successfully are:

1. Grants -- look for local sources. Federal and state grants are appropriate
for large, high ticket projects, but may require special skill to apply for
the grant, matching funds, and a heavy reporting system for funds
accountability and outcomes. Local foundations, corporate giving offices, and
equine "check-off" programs, give grants in smaller amounts with less
administrative requirements. However, be ready to report your expenditures
and what the money was used for. The trick is to be really clear about what
you want to accomplish and what you will do to make this happen. Do not ask
for money because you are good people doing good works. Be specific.

2. Private donations -- individuals familiar with your work may benefit
tax-wise by giving you a substantial donation. One not-for-profit, I am
affiliated with, receives between $1,500 and $2,500 each December when a
wealthy local person's accountant tells him he needs to give for tax reasons.
This approach necessitates we communicate our funding needs (in a tactful,
non-demanding way) to the donor. This is not hard for us MSAR people, as we
love talking about what we do.

3. "Sell" an "easy" product -- Get a local business to "sell" your t-shirts,
caps, window stickers, coffee cups, etc. "Selling" is prohibited for some
types of not-for-profits, so just to be sure, indicate the items are given in
exchange for a "DONATION." Also, you can provide advertising for businesses.
If you have a trailer, uniforms, saddle pads, etc., offer to advertise on
them. Businesses can become "sponsors" of your group. This requires some
up-front "selling", but then an annual letter asking the business to keep
their sponsorship active is an efficient way to keep money coming in. Again,
remember to "sell" and report this income as a donation or risk your tax
exempt status.

4. Tax money -- Do not be afraid to ask the government agency you are
affiliated with (there should be one) to fund your group. We can be so eager
to serve that we would pay the government to let us work. We need to
recognize the significant contribution we make, articulate this to the
government officials, and not feel guilty that we are expecting financial
support. This approach works best once we have demonstrated our abilities.
However, it is usual for start-up funds to be needed. Site the value of
neighboring groups and suggest that your group will be equally valuable.
Locally I have seen that if one Sheriff or fire department has an MSAR group,
the neighboring jurisdictions do not want to be left out and are inclined to
start their own. Take advantage of helping your jurisdiction keep up with
the neighbors.

There are people who love to raise money. While I am not one of them, and
would rather ride as my contribution to our group, there are others who make
funding their contribution.

The last point I would like to make is that we can accomplish much with
little cash. Our group has almost no money, yet we are a useful part of the
county sheriff's bag of tricks. Having money without the support of a first
responder organization, and committed and trained volunteers, will not assure
a successful organization. The support and the volunteers must come first.

Lois Guyon
Member
LaSalle County, IL. Sheriff's MSAR Posse