msar-riders - [MSAR] When the sign says NO..what part of NO dont you understand?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] When the sign says NO..what part of NO dont you understand?
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 20:12:48 -0700 (PDT)

Here you go.. an article on manure...  (and when composting goes bad.)  Ever wonder why the germination on some composted or manured gardens are bad?.  Its not what this article says its more!

Its not just seed matter, its herbicide residuals in the manue that cause compost to be bad andnot to just pick on the hay and straw producers,  its the stuff that also goes in the big commercial compost farms that wreaks!  These giant places take in yardwaste that has everything in it from soup to nuts,  to garbage and heavy metal and more.  Next time you have bad germ, test the soil and the compost!
----------------------------------
To view this article online: http://www.aces.uiuc.edu/news/stories/news5203.html

Grass hay and straw producer insight needed
Author: Jennifer Shike
___________________

Personally unless you know who is making your compost you never know what goes into it.

And personally, if you are using your own animal manure towards your gardens or ag lands, if you do not make your own hay or straw you need to ask your hay  and straw producers whats in it, and we are not just talking vegitative matter its chemicals and if that crappy stuff is in it, there goes your organic certifications. YOu also need to know where and how you should incorporate it.

Boy, is this another good reason why some places LIKE CONSERVATION AREAS dont allow you to take your horses in a forest preserve and here some of us may have thought it was just because the manure had weed seed!  The herbicide residual can kill whats  growing there too!  Its time to cut the crap!

Yep, when the sign says NO, you better not go!   So, what are ya'll doing with your manure?  Are you dumping it in a wetland??? Are you spreading it where you should not be???  Are you cleaning up after your horse when you ride it in areas other than your own land?  And what does this have to do with MSAR?  Think about it, you ride in all kinds of places.  Shouldn't we be adding a tail dump bag to our MSAR trail riding horses to help preserve the reserves?  You are an owner, you have responsibility.

And here some of you thought certified hay was all about what was vegitationally organic in it.  WRONG!!!!!

Here is the poop!
Heavy metal, and residuals from herbicides are far from organic. They dont belong in forset preserves either where endangered plants and ecosystems exist.

Many state lands, conservation lands, nature preserves and private lands are POSTED.  Some say KEEP OUT, others say NO TRESPASSING and some are posted thusly:

Conservation or Nature preserve
All Plants and animals and natrual features within this area are protected by law

NO camping, firearms, vehicles, pets or horses.

The signs means KEEP things out..

We also need to be aware that surronding areas have an effect on the preserves  too.  Working in or near them, protecting them is part of the job.

So what about the manure around your barnyard?  What are you going to be doing with all of that?

Some of these chemicals in these composted wastes are also highly carcinogenic.

Before you go down the road with it, you might want to contact a reputable waste hauler that knows how to haul it and just where to go!

And if your on the road...hauling your MSAR animal, just what DO you DO with it?

        Karen Nesbitt - VMSAR - Iroqouis County/Illinos
Some trust in chariots, and others in horses: but we will always remember the name of the Lord our God.  Psalms 20:7..
...and the bay went forth,  and sought to go to and fro that they might walk to and fro through the earth: and he said, Get you hence, walk to and fro through the earth.  So they walked to and fro through the earth. Zec 6:7
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven - Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

  • [MSAR] When the sign says NO..what part of NO dont you understand?, Karen Nesbitt, 05/19/2010