msar-riders - [MSAR] Wildfire 10 years later, and up-to-date information

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Wildfire 10 years later, and up-to-date information
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 13:57:44 -0600

Since the huge Cerro Grande wildfire here 10 years ago, local trails have
been in constant flux. This year, finally, there are not many dead trees
still waiting to fall over, so the urgency and volume of trail clearing
has fallen off. But trail clearing still is needed. Here are some photos:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=323629455007&v=photos

I hope this underscores the necessity of having on hand dispatch numbers
for every land management agency in your area, so that in the event of a
search on that agency's land you can find out quickly the most current
status of trails the subject might have taken, and trails where you want
to send in SAR teams.

At the search 2 weeks ago that I mentioned in another post today, the
subject was found just off an old forest road that is not marked on any
recent maps so tourists don't plan to use it, but is clear enough on
the ground that many tourists in fact do use it.

Cheers,

  • [MSAR] Wildfire 10 years later, and up-to-date information, Una Smith, 05/04/2010