msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] search strategies for mounted SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Finkle" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] search strategies for mounted SAR
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 07:09:01 -0400

Well said Irv. Being flexible and deploying as trained is the key to success for any MSAR team.

As more and more of our mission deployments involve mixed use areas, we have expanded our SAR/MSAR training, protocols and lessons learned to meet those needs.  During a recent search in Roanoke Virginia that lasted several days; our team members were exposed to high density housing areas, busy city streets and alley ways, warehouse districts, train yards as well as going into 50K acres of the GW National Forest/Blue Ridge Parkway, which created a mission where we needed to be very flexible.  As an example, we never deploy one of our team member’s solo without another validated public safety equine resource with them.  However, our SOP’s does allow one team member to be part of a police mounted team or deploy with mounted rangers, which is what occurred in Roanoke, VA.  Generally we deploy our team members in pairs, but depending on the incident and location we have had as many as a 4 persons/horses as a field team.

Other items that should enhance the professionalism of an MSAR team is to document all trainings and maintain a record of all after action reports, also have your team take part in multi discipline/multi resource SAR FSE’s and FE’s. Doing so will help provide substance to your team’s best practices and lessons learned portfolio. There are several states and local jurisdictions that already have established MSAR standards (many of those standards are available online).  Providing MSAR educational material to search mangers and IC’s before a search happens will also help insure that proper MSAR tasks are included within a mission’s IAP.

T’mi

www.trotsar.org