msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Dog hazards, dog bites and otherdog problems

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>, "Mounted search and rescue in Illinois USA." <msar-il@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Dog hazards, dog bites and otherdog problems
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 19:34:38 -0800 (PST)

RESPONDING TO:
Message: 6
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:11:04 -0500
From: "Irvin Lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [MSAR] [MSAR-IL] encountering dogs as a hazard
To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>

My experience with dogs indicates that they don't bark first. My horse has
been charged by 2 different GS. One was a SAR dog working off leash in a
field as we went down an adjacent bike path and the handler was not able to
call it off.  Needless to say that dog was never on our call sheet again.
The other was the house dog of the manager of the youth hostel in the Park.
He was always outside on a chain or a wire so the first time we backed out
of range, the second time we stood our ground, and the third time, when he
broke the wire, I told my horse to kill him, and Blackie's rear end was
aimed right at him when the owner showed up.  I warned the owner about
letting the dog run loose, even accidentally, and reached for a radio to
call a ranger.  The next day the dog and owner were gone without having to
file a report.

A dog that is a housedog that got loose has no territory until it starts
roaming with a pack and then pack hierarchy takes over.  People who let
their dogs run loose deserve whatever we dish out.  In Pennsylvania your dog
must be under your control when not on your property.  In most recreational
areas leash laws apply, some as short as 6 feet.  And in most of these areas
your defense is have your horse kick the dog since you can't shoot it for
attacking your horse, only if it comes after you and you are in an area that
lets you carry.  The only good thing is that the rangers carry guns, write
loose dog tickets ($300 each), no tag tickets (another $300), and no rabies
shots (varies from shoot on sight to $300 fine and quarantine costs). Dogs
usually get one attack free, and get declared vicious the second time.
Horse don't get the first one free,

Irv Lichtenstein
------------------------------->>>>

Irv, personally I am glad your state is as agressive in the fines as they are and if you were to ask me I think they should be much stiffer all across the board..

Having an SAR dog or even an LE K-9 in particular or any dog that will not call off  or be controlled is irresponsible as well as detrimental.  I'm not so sure if I would want that handler no less the dog on any team until he/she can prove beyond a reasonable doubt it and they are worthy, however a dog can be a liability just as a horse at anytime if the conditions are for it.

As you said, the horse,  does not get the first one for free. Neither does any other victim and medical bills for bites and injuries can be through the roof.

If you have ever tried to clean up or manage a puncture wound or a bite, you would not be wanting the dog or the owner of same to get off with just a fee.

I swear, spaying and nuetering the animals is no answer to irresponsible owners and/or
handlers either that have dogs run free.  Nuetering does not stop any dog from biting.  But you would be surpised how many nutcases will beleive that oh, they are nuetered, they will not hurt you.  Perhaps removing the nut between the shoulders of those dogs owners would be more appropriate.

I am beyond questioning any owner or handler if a dog will bite.   Its got a mouth.. its liable to.  So leave go with that. And if its lose, then caught it goes to the pound.  The owners can get it from there and pay the piper.

Also, a well placed kick or stomp in the head of a dog often renders most dogs mentallity down the tubes and majority of the times, the dog is not trustworthy after.  And there is often no choice but to have those dogs put down.  Shelters do not want most of the dogs I have come across and have turned in that are nasty.  You cannot place a dog like that in anyones home.  There is no choice but to have them destroyed.

Most people especially if they are from the city these days too, do not understand the euthanasia process and what it takes to dispose of those carcasses and then they go off the deep end too if anyone shoots one.  There are certain environmental issues with medical euthanasia but that is the one point that is rarely addressed.

I have been in states where they have laws of shoot to kill all stray dogs.  These states are where rabies is rampant.  When a horse gets rabies, the symptoms can be ambigous. Correct me if I am wrong, but rabies is the only disease that I am aware of that the animal has to be put down to test to verify if indeed it was rabid.

Having been bite by an animal  before and having had to wait to hear the word on if I had to get the shots is not something I care to go through again.  And certainly,  getting the shots is no picnic either.

A horse with rabies can affect a lot of people before you are aware its rabid.

The last dog that bite my horse got put down.  I am sure the next one that does and is caught, chances are real great it will be put down too.  Whether or not my horse defends herself to do it or if an animal control officer is where the dog ends up, chances are great the dog is not going to go home. As for the horse,  I for one would not be a very happy camper if my horse ended up having to be destroyed too all becasue some stupid irresponsible dog owner allowed for their dog to bite it..

Far be it from me though when it comes to getting bite by any animal, the animal with the worst mouth is a domestic cat.  Cats can cause serious inffections and the infections can be life threatening.  It amazes me why there is no leash law for them.

Like I said before, we live in an irresponsible, irrational world when it comes to animals and too many people that own them should not.  They have no clue as to responsibility when it comes to having one.

And as you said, accidentally escaping is no excuse either especially for a dog to bite anyone.  I, for one have met more than my share of  stupid owners that dont even bother to inspect or maintain their fencing to be sure that is adequate if they are maintaining a dog or even livestock in a fenced in pen or yard.  Dogs bounce off the fences, they tunnel, they even will try to scale and then when those mongrels escape and reack havoc the irresponsible owners are the first to bitch that they dont understand how the dog escaped their yard.  Their famous last words are "not MY dog, it didnt do that."

Unbeleivable pathetic excuses if ever heard.

        Karen