msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] [MSAR-IL] encountering dogs as a hazard

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>, "Mounted search and rescue in Illinois USA." <msar-il@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] [MSAR-IL] encountering dogs as a hazard
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 19:32:24 -0800 (PST)

RESPONDING TO:

From: Susan J. Duke <susanjduke@yahoo.com>
Subject: [MSAR-IL] encountering dogs as a hazard
To: msar-il@lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 7:18 PM

I am a SAR K-9 handler and a MSAR rider and here is what I recommend if you encounter a dog that could be threatening.

Most dogs will bark at horses.  This is their alert, and does not necessarily imply they will approach or bite at the horse.  This is their "get-away" sound. Put distance between you and to dog area as quietly as possible. Do not overreact, just distance yourself if possible.

If the dog seems to approach or threaten, use your sternest voice and say "No, GIT" Most dogs no what no means, they hear it at home.  Use sharp syllables, stern voice, NO. Be "in charge" and boss pack leader in your demeanor.  If they genuinely come in for the approach, throw something (cheap flashlights work great for a sharp bonk on the head). They will think twice. Another great throw thing is a soda can with pennies in it, with the hole taped with duct tape, dogs hate that throw can (but some horse might too).

Do not dismount, let your horse kick them if they get that close.

But mostly they just want you to leave their "territory".

Susan J. Duke
in Central Illinois

-------------------------------->>>>>>>

Hi Susan,

I was just wondering have you seriously ever been attacked by a dog or a pack of dogs while on horseback?  I have and on numerous numerous occassions.    Been charged by single dogs, been also charged by packs, both wild and domestic.  Even had a guy who thought it was really  really funny to try to sic his dogs on my horse as I rode down the road by his house.  (Guess my neighborhoods are something to be desired, but when I consider the nutcases that live in them, well its just their evil mentallity, but anyway....)

I have also encountered dogs chasing cars as they go down the same road I am riding on and well, seen some dogs not stop until they got dragged in the dirt while gripping a rear bumper.

I gave strong thought about what you have said here about throwing the can of coins and gave thought to ALL the kinds of strays I have encountered and fumbling to find the can of coins while on horseback would never have been an option.  Nor would I want to waste pack space if I was doing an MSAR.

I would have not wanted to take my hands off the reins nor would I have wanted to run the risk of losing control of my horse should she have suffered a bite while I was looking for the can..

My focus remains to be on the dog, while looking for an exit.  And to hopefully not provoke an attack.

You can only carry so much on your mount before you run out of things to throw and therefore learning to use your mount in a defensive measure is far more productive and safer.

Just my humble opinion based on my numerous experiences of being attacked by dogs while riding and while I will agree with you that SOME are saying get out of my territory, others are roaming to go to or through a territory and wild dogs, mainly the coy dogs have no training.  They have no language that they understand.

We live in an irresponsible irrational society that people allow for their pets to stray and breed and mess with others and not all dogs will respond.  Some people think they can let their dog roam and thats ok.  They are in denial of any responsibility.

When seconds matter to your own safety and to the safety of your mount, riding defensively is your best posture.

Course if your skilled on "boinking" the dog on the head and maybe knocking him out cold, well, that could be a good thing too, but well what are you going to do if there is more than one stray?  I, for one however cannot picture practicing trying to boink a dog on the head.  The odds are no matter how much one would practice tossing the can from a horse, chances are greater you miss. The PSI  on the head from that can of coins is not going to do much for a medium size dog, no less one larger.

I have also been attacked on foot and harassed by dogs and ask any mailman about the training they get about what to do in the event of a dog attack and throwing a can of coins is not really an option.  You start swinging those arms and you just might provoke a dog into giving you a bite.  Not all strays are into the game of go fetch.  Or do they respond to NO NO BAD DOG....GIT!  And beleive me, some of the dogs I have encountered are not always trained by conventional 4-h dog handling classes, no less in english! The folks in the military or who handle LE dogs know the kinds of dogs I am talking about.

I, too have handled and trained dogs as well as horses for many years.  There is also a distinct difference between a dog that is handled vs a dog that is well trained.

You have to think outside the box to ride defensively.  And I agree, distance is your best bet if at all possible.  It would be nice if that was always the case, but its not.

        Karen