msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Compass for SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Irvin Lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Compass for SAR
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 22:34:59 -0500

For the over 30 years I have been using compasses I have found the most reliable to those in aircraft but it is hard to take a gyro on a horse.

Realistically, what we used to call the $9.95 special was usually more than adequate. The features to look for are:

1.    repeatability—if I take a bearing from the same place to the same point is it within 5 degrees magnetic each time?

2.    clear base so I can see the map through the compass

3.    map scales or ruler edge along base—self explanatory

4.    5 degree graduations

5.    lanyard holes or even better a lanyard with it

6.    needle bearing is a all angle—can’t knock needle off

7.    reflective marks on needle so you can tell which end is which

8.    large enough to be seen and read to 5 degrees

9.    large enough to be found if dropped but not large enough to maim you if it hits you

10.large enough to be held in frozen hands

11.all weather, no temperature limits, no water problems

12.nice to have: flexible bezel so I take a bearing and set the outer ring to it as an aiming stick

13.nice to have: a lensatic feature (mirror in lid and sight), again for aiming

The most important feature of a land navigation compass, particularly on horseback, is the brain of the user.

Most of our sight lines are short here in the woods, and being able to spot landmarks or terrain features and associate them with the maps and the image the command post is trying to create is what is important.  I worry that a field task has missed a bend in the creek or a drainage, not that they are 44.5 degrees north of west on course.  Besides, unless someone has very competent navigation equipment you are never going to hold course to a degree on a horse.

Irv Lichtenstein

Chief of Operations

SE PA SAR