msar-riders - [MSAR] North Georgia Mounted Search and Rescue ("NGMSAR")

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Steve de Lyra" <stevd@windstream.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] North Georgia Mounted Search and Rescue ("NGMSAR")
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:38:55 -0500

Greetings,

I would like to share with all of you the notice we have sent to the over 30 individuals who have expressed an interest in NGMSAR.  We even had a guy who wanted to join with his ATV.  I told him that although our mounts did produce some exhaust, it was not the by-product of an internal combustion engine.

Again thanks to all who have supported us in the past.  We will undoudtedly need more help as we go further down the road to establishing a trained, functional MSAR unit.
#

Greetings friends of the North Georgia Mounted Search and Rescue,

You are getting this e-mail because you either attended the initial meeting on 10 DEC 09, or have contacted us since then, or someone gave me your name and contact information.  Thank you for your interest in our fledgling organization.

We are planning our initial training session in Land Navigation for Sunday, 24 JAN 10 at 1:00 pm.  The instructor will be Col. Bob Eikenberry, and the class will be about 2 hours.  After the class those who have horses are invited to go on a trail ride - but please note that this is not part of the class, and is not an event hosted by NGMSAR.  If you do bring a horse, you should have a copy of a valid (a year old or less) negative Coggins.

You will need a compass.  Walmart has an acceptable one for $4.88.  You should also wear comfortable hiking boots with ankle support.  Chairs are recommended also.  There will be some walking - the distance will depend on what you feel comfortable doing.  If you have an ailment which limits or precludes walking - come anyway.  The "classroom" part will be valuable.  And Bob will offer "extra help" to anyone who needs some tutoring.

We will meet at 1:00 pm at the Jake Mountain horse trailer parking lot.

Directions are:
  • From South, N. 400 past Hwy 53 to 136 West, to Hwy 9 North, to 52 West,  about 4 miles look for the Grizzle Store at Nimblewill Church Rd (on right),  about 1 1/2 miles to Jake Mtn. horse camp on right.
  • From North or East; around Dahlonega on Hwy 52 West about 7 miles to  Nimblewill Church rd., right 1 1/2 miles on right.
  • From West; Hwy 52, 2 miles into Lumpkin County, left on the western end of  Nimblewill Church rd., about 2 miles on left.
Please note this is a fair weather only event.  If it rains or snows that day, we will cancel and re-schedule.  There is no shelter - and we don't have a tent.

If you have any friends who would like to join us, please contact me or have them contact me.  We are very excited about the response to our media coverage and we have grown from 9 who attended the initial meeting to about 20.  At this number we can be a viable unit, but we would like to have more members.

On a final note, we have to be concerned about liability as an organization.  We have looked into the types of coverage available and what we would need.  One of the first things we need to do is to get incorporated as a not for profit organization.  If anyone getting this note is an attorney - or knows an attorney who will help us on a pro bono basis - please let me know.  We also need to select officers.  And we will have to discuss some kind of dues or membership fees to cover the cost of insurance.

We are excited about our first training session.  See you at Jake Mountain!

Safe riding,

Bob Eikenberry and Steve de Lyra
#

Anyone who is able to join us on 24 JAN is more than welcome.  Please let me know if you can do so - we'll find a place to put you up and feed your horses.
All the best,
Steve

Stephen J. de Lyra
Telephone:    +1 706 265 8182
Fax:               +1 706 216 0082
Mobile:          +1 678 677 2907
e-mail:           stevd@windstream.net

  • [MSAR] North Georgia Mounted Search and Rescue ("NGMSAR"), Steve de Lyra, 01/15/2010