msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] saddles

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] saddles
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 21:51:45 -0500

What is important is fit. If the saddle does not fit you have a sore horse and that means you are walking, not riding. Assuming the tree fits the horse the seat should fit you. You should have a secure seat so you can look at what your horse tells you to look at.  You also don’t want to slide off if you have to go to one side or the other.

Cost should not matter that much over the life of the saddle.  If you buy a synthetic and wear it out every year  you end up spending as much as for a fully custom leather rig that last 20 or more years.

I ride a Percheron and have used the same custom saddle on him for over 19 years with a total repair cost of under $20, plus a string girth every season.  I spend more on wormer than on my tack, on an annualized basis, and it is all custom made, including bits.

Past experience with treeless or flexible saddles has indicated that they can rub as they flex, creating a problem.

Irv Lichtenstein

SE PA SAR