msar-riders - [MSAR] Mule in MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Alice Ault <alice_ault@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Mule in MSAR
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:06:08 -0400

[This post was misdirected and got caught in a spam trap. --Una]

Saw your email. I use a mule for MSAR. She is certified a level one.
She had absolutely no trouble passing her test with a group of horses.
The biggest advantage I have found using a mule is that they can endure the
hot humid weather better than my horse. They inherit this ability from
the donkey who is a desert animal. Also her large ears (which nature
ment to be) captures sound sooner than my horse, so she alerts quicker.
However, as with any equine you have to get the right animal for the job.
Just because they are a mule don't think they will do the trick. Temperment
and training are paramount.

Look forward to talking mule with you. I have owned mules for 30 years
and have used them in many different disicplines. I currently own seven
mules and six horses. I use both on SAR. Usually use the mule when the
horse tires in hot weather or when I am looking for a victim who may
make noise(young child crying). Just depends on the situation.

Take care and stay in touch.

Alice Ault
Chillicothe, Ohio

  • [MSAR] Mule in MSAR, Alice Ault, 08/25/2009