msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 74, Issue 4 -weed free vs seed free, allergys too.

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Mary Lou Barrett <horsemommy@hotmail.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 74, Issue 4 -weed free vs seed free, allergys too.
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 08:39:30 -0400

Very good point Karen, but adding to the weed free vs. seed free. My only issue with feeding a hay that is seed free is you are essentially depleting most of the nutritional value of the hay. We teach our horse science kids that hay should be harvested before the bloom stage,  which is the seed stage. After that, the nutritional value degrades. So whether you get your hay prior to or after the bloom stage, you're going to need to assess the value of the hay and possibly feed grain according. Personally, I  teach my kids that hay is way more important than the grain.
Another option would be to possibly use a processed hay. (not neccesarily something like Denji) but one of our feed suppliers here on the east coast has a product call hay stretchers. This I have personally used with my senior horses as a primary source of hay. There are similar products around but you would need to see what is available to you and experiment to see what your horse likes or can tolerate.
JMO

Mary Lou
Horses can teach us so much, as long as we're willing to listen.