msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] disaster situations and horses

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: <jchuston@earthlink.net>, "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] disaster situations and horses
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 23:30:53 -0500

Using resources in the optimum way is called management.  NIMS helps you manage by building a framework of common terms and qualifications. NIMS, nor any other process, can manage the job for you.  Most of us know horses, some of us know search, and a few have experience at managing large events besides wilderness searches.  Believe me when I say you do not want to take a horse into a debris field.  The horse may have enough sense to refuse but the rider will force the issue anyway.  Debris fields need proper personnel protective equipment, whether just heavy clothes and puncture resistant shoes or a full up Class A encapsulating suit and a 4 hour re-breather. In the fire service, once the building has fallen down it is no longer an emergency but a recovery.  If there is a storm cellar there may be survivors, and they can usually wait a little while, giving you time to survey the scene, size up what you need and get it there. One size does not fit all.

Irv Lichtenstein