msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] New member requirements

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Paul Fleming" <pfleming@nwlink.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] New member requirements
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:45:12 -0800

Hi Lisa,

The first thing I tell prospects is that this is not about horses. It is
about search and rescue. We don't teach horsemanship and it's not always
fun. Be very clear on what you expect from them and what they can expect
from you. You do not want to bring folks in under false pretense. They will
be disappointed and you will waist valuable training time/resources.

As part of our entry process we do a few new horse/rider evaluation rides.
We are looking at horsemanship, horse and rider conditioning, ability to
function as part of a team. We try to figure out where the edges of their
comfort zone or ability are with progressively more difficult rides. It
really doesn't take long for them to figure out if MSAR is for them or not.

I have been the Training Officer for my unit for the last six years or so
and it seems to me for every five we take in only two with their horses will
make it through to full field qualification with in the first year. It is
really hard to do this as a part timer so just make sure they understand
what they are getting into and how rewarding it really is.

Regards

Paul